HOW TO GREET SOMEONE IN ENGLISH
There are two basic ways to greet someone in English: the formal way and the informal way. The choice is up to you. You have to make a judgment call about what kind of situation you are in and what form of greeting would be appropriate.
A. Use these for example, when meeting a business colleague or partner
- Hello, it is my pleasure to meet you…..
- Hello, good to see you again….
- Hello, good morning. How are you today?……
- Good Morning………
- Good morning! How are you?…..
- Good morning it’s so good to see you!
- Good Morning, sorry to keep you waiting.
- Good morning, sorry I am a little bit late….
B. Use these at a business conference or other business meeting
- Hello, I’m Steven Giles. Nice to meet you.
- Good morning everyone!
- Good evening. I am Edgar Poe. I will be your host for this evening…
- Good day everyone. Thank you all for coming.
- Good Afternoon… Nice to see you all.
C. Use these for example when speaking with a receptionist on the phone or in person
- Hello…..this is Matthew Sturm. May I speak with John Waters?
- Hello, I am John. I am here to see Mr Koon.
- Hello, good morning. May I speak with Ms Arnold?
- Good morning. I am looking for Jeff Goldblum? Is he available?
- Hello, I am David West. With whom am I speaking?
- Good afternoon, I am Sonya. I am here to see Mr Peterson.
D. Use these when you are in an unfamiliar situation and you need some help.
- Good afternoon. Can you tell me how to find the Metro please?
- Good evening, I am here for the reception… Can you point me to the right room please?
- Good evening, can you tell me how to get to Saint Paul?
- Excuse me, Sir, but can you tell me how to get to the city center?
E. Use these for example when writing an email
- Dear John, How are you? I was wondering if…
- Good morning Ms Shaw, I am writing to inform you that…
- Sandra, I would like to introduce you to our new marketing director…
Hi, how are you?
Hi, I am Jack. Nice to meet you…..
Hi, sorry to keep you waiting….
Hey there!….! How are you?
Hey lady………..what’s up?
Hey, what’s up?….
THINGS TO SAY RIGHT AFTER SAYING HELLO TO SOMEONE:
- Hello, How are you?
2. Hello, How’s it going?
3. Hello! Nice to see you!
4. Hello! Welcome!
5. Hello! You look great! How was your weekend?
6. Hello, can I offer you something to drink while you wait?
7. Hello, I am Barbara.
8. Hello, how delightful to see you again!
ANSWERS FOR WHEN SOMEONE GREETS YOU AND ASKS HOW YOU ARE:
- I’m fine, thank you, and you?
2. I’m good. What about you?
3. Superb. And you?
5. Great. And you? How was your weekend?
6. It’s going. And you?
7. Nice to see you too. The weekend was great. What about you?
8. I’m Isabella. Nice to meet you.
9. The pleasure is all mine (if they say “it’s nice to meet you.”)