ASKING QUESTIONS IN ENGLISH
There are many ways to pose or ask questions in English. This post will explore 6 basic ways to ask questions in English:
Using all forms and tenses of the verb “to be” including active and passive voice.
- Am I late?
- Was I late?
- Have I ever been late?
- Will I be late?
- Is the car being moved by a truck?
- Are you sure that the car is being moved by the truck?
- Will the house be damaged by the hurricane?
- Will we know if the house is damaged by the hurricane?
- Is he leaving?
- Will they have left by the time we arrive?
- Are they being put to sleep?
SPEAK WITH A PARTNER:
- Are you VERY tall? (yes I am. No I am not.)
- Is your mother an orangutan? (Yes, she is./No she is not./No she isn’t.)
- Are you a fan of Donald Trump? ‘Yes I am. No I am not)
- Is your gut big? (yes it is. /No it isn’t)
- Are you going to see the film tomorrow evening? (Yes, I am. / No I am not. / No I’m not.)
- Are you going to take a major vacation this year? (Yes I am. /No I am not)
2. Using all forms and tenses of the verb “to have
- Have you seen these documents?
- Have I got any money?
- Have you got any money?
- Has he got any money?
- Has she got the most beautiful smile you have ever seen?
- Has he been drinking or what?
- Has she ever been in this university before?
- Have they any conscience whatsoever?
- Have you got a private jet or were you just joking?
- Have you ever heard such a ridiculous story in your entire life?
- Have you had any success with this medication?
- Have you seen the latest George Clooney movie?
- Have you lost your mind?
- Had you known better would you have done it?
- Had she taken a different route everything would have turned out differently for her.
SPEAK WITH A PARNTER
- Have you been attending this school for more than one year?
- Have you ever been to Moscow?
- Have you ever visited Canada?
- Has your mother ever hit you when you were a kid?
- Had you known what you know now, would you have still come to this school?
- Has a mosquito ever stung you?
- Have you always been this smart?
3. Using modal verbs such as (Can, Could, Should, Would, May, Might, Must, Able to, Shall, Will, Ought)
- Can you pass the salt, please?
- Could you play the piano when you were little or did you only learn as an adult?
- Should I pay the tab?
- Would you please stop acting stupid?
- May I ask you to dance?
- Might this be the one you are looking for?
- Must you continuously act like a moron?
- Are you able to see the blackboard?
- Shall we go?
- Ought we to think about leaving now?
PRACTICE WITH A PARTNER
- Can you play the piano?
- Could you write with both hands at any point in your life?
- May I ask you a personal question?
- Will you go to a Coldplay concert with me if I pay all your expenses?
- Are you able to eat a lot of beans without getting gas?
- Shall we go out for a cigarette now?
4. Using a relative pronoun (Who, What, Where, When, How, Which)
- Who let the dogs out?
- What is going on in here?
- Where is the car?
- When can we leave?
- How are you?
- Which is your favorite?
SPEAK WITH A PARTNER
5. Using an indirect question with a tag at the end
- You didn’t really mean to do that, did you?
- We should to leave now, shouldn’t we?
- I was great, wasn’t I?
- You have done this before, haven’t you?
- She has a lot of money, hasn’t she?
- Your dad will like this tie, won’t he?
- That guy is nuts, isn’t he?
- We need to ask permission before we park here, musn’t we?
- We have enough food to survive at least a month, haven’t we?
6. Using the verb “do”
- Do you have the time?
- Do you know how I can get to the town square?
- Did you really invent the machine?
- Didn’t I see you in that bar?
- Doesn’t he like cherries?
- Doesn’t she like chocolate?
- Did you honestly think that I didn’t know what you are up to?
- Do you own a pet?
- Do they have a big house?
SPEAK WITH A PARTNER:
- Do you speak Spanish as well as you speak English? (Yes I do. / No I don’t.)
- Do you speak German well? (Yes I do. /No I don’t)
- Does your girlfriend like chocolate pudding? (Yes she does. / No she doesn’t.)
- Do you have an older brother ? (Yes I do. / No I don’t)
- Did you always look this way?
- Did she steal the lipstick?